Thursday, November 14, 2013

Author Extra: Love of the Hunter by V.L. Locey

Love of the Hunter by V.L. Locey


Everyone down on Earth thinks the life of a Greek sun god is a walk through
Elysium. They could never be more wrong. Apollo, the ever youthful son of
Zeus is far from home, banished from Olympus to live and train with the
Titan, Helios. To make matters worse, Apollo is still mourning the loss of
his lover Hyacinthus. Life becomes a daily routine of shame, drudgery, and
abuse until the young hunter Orion appears at the eastern end of the world,
seeking the healing touch of a Titan.

When Helios refuses to aid yet another offspring of the usurping gods,
Apollo hides Orion and heals the hunter as best as his fledgling powers
allow. Blinded eyes heal slowly, and the son of Zeus and the son of Poseidon
find themselves falling in love as months go by. But the gods of Olympus see
all, and Skyfather Zeus is disapproves of the budding relationship. Can the
love of two young lovers stand against the disapproval and fury of the god
of men? Or will the night skies forever be changed?

buy link:
http://www.prizmbooks.com/zencart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_27&products_id=79

Author Extra:

Ever since I was a young girl I was fascinated with mythology. There was
something magical and special about the legends of Heracles, Achilles,
Perseus, and Odysseus. I would spend hours reading books about the Greek
pantheon. I cannot recall how many times I watched the first Clash of the
Titans movie. More times than a grown woman should, that`s for sure. I am a
huge fan of Edith Hamilton, and use her novels as some writers use a
dictionary or a thesaurus. It always struck me as sad that some people
couldn`t enjoy mythology as I did, but given how it`s presented in
classrooms from elementary school through college, it`s no wonder so many
hate Greek mythology. 

I`ve tried, through my writing, to bring the gods to life. I`ve gone in and
blown the dust bunnies off Zeus` marble nose and ran my Swiffer over Hera`s
peacock feather fan. With my self-published books I`ve taken the gods and
goddess and dropped them into our world, with some hilarious and romantic
results. With Love of the Hunter, I`ve retold the story of Orion in a very
different way than most of us originally learned it. I`ve turned the sun god
Apollo into the storyteller, and have him struggling with not only the loss
of a lover, but with the knowledge that he will never be the son Zeus wishes
him to be. And then Orion appears, blinded and needing aid, and Apollo finds
himself falling for the son of Poseidon.

There are many variations of the legend of Orion. Some have Orion and
Artemis being friends, some say they were lovers and Apollo grew wroth and
summoned a giant scorpion to kill the hunter. For as many poets as there
were in the days of ancient Greece, there are variants on this famous tale. 

I hope my telling of two young men who are drawn to each other despite all
the godly odds brings a new and compelling angle to a tale as old as the
cosmos themselves. 

V.L. Locey

No comments: